It is admitted by many adults that they resort to alcohol to escape from the stress of the day. While it might look like a few glasses is enough to relieve the pressure, sooner they would be adding on more in the pretext of family, financial and work related issues. Many people who drink often use stress as the excuse and it could pose a serious concern to their health over the long term.
So here are some tips to keep your drinking under control
- First eat and eat adequately: It is by norm that people are starving at the time when the happy hour starts. It is therefore important that you first take a salad or some healthy finger food that is higher in protein and fiber. This way you can keep away from the junk. Also if you still feel hungry after this, you should go on and have regular dinner or lunch. This way you would be content and you will not end up snacking on the tidbits around you much.
- Keeping hydrated: When you have had a long stressful day you might find it easier to down couple of drinks quite easily. But if you want to be mindful of your drinking, always start with a tall glass of water with lemon and ensure that you have sparkling water in between your drinks. This way, not only will you be hydrated enough but you will also stay within your limits.
- Say no to mixed drinks: If the drink is mixed with say some fruity addition, then you should definitely say no to it for it has extra calories. And it will never make you feel content. Also do not keep shifting between different drinks either, like from beer to margaritas to tequilas, etc. In fact if you are starting with beer you shouldn’t have any hard liquor after that. This is because you will not know how much you are consuming and you will end up going overboard. Stick to any one kind of drink.
- Keep the tab: A drink above four for women and a drink above five for men is considered to be binging. Always keep the second tip in mind and keep yourself hydrated with water in between so that you keep a respectful count on the drinks you intake.
- Choose your drink wisely for the day: People often tend to drink too much when they have the entire day dedicated to drinking. You have to go for drinks that have lower content of alcohol like spritzers, wine or beer when you have to prolong the drinking for the whole day. This will keep you afloat and ensure that you are sober for the day. Of course, do remember to add sufficient food with good calories into you and also take a break for couple of hours from alcohol in between to stay on board.
- Before and after rest: It is not advisable to consume alcohol after a day consumed with heavy workout. And neither should you resort to alcohol after you have had a poor sleep. You need to have a good sleep prior and after the drinking. When you have alcohol on empty stomach, it will further lower your sugar levels in the blood stream. And if you do it after a workout, then this level goes down even further and hence is not advisable.